Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Week 6: The Enchanted Fiddle (Storytelling)

Almost a year ago, I had left my home because it had run out of food. Now I was returning. I had spent the year with my cousin, Nia, who lived a few days walk North of where I had lived my whole life. The people in my home village had hunted out most of the animals and food had become hard to come by.

I had recently received news that everything was returning to normal, so I decided it was time to go home. I had worked hard for Nia in the last year, and she had given me food and shelter. I was perfectly satisfied with this arrangement, as Nia was not wealthy. However, before I left, she have me two gifts to return home with a bow and arrow, and a fiddle.

Now, Nia was her village’s healer/psychic. She was the only person for miles who could speak with the gods and bring magic into our world. Therefore, these gifts were not like their ordinary counterparts. The bow and arrows where enchanted so they wouldn't miss a shot. Any animal I shot with the arrow would go down. The fiddle was also very special. Anytime it was played, everyone around would have to dance to the music.

I was very excited for both gifts. With the bow and arrow, I would never go hungry. While the enchantment on the fiddle didn't excite me as much, I was already the best fiddler in the surrounding four villages. Because of this, a new fiddle always made me extremely happy.

I was nearly home, when I came across and old friend named Berko. He had been hunting a deer all day but couldn't catch it. I said I would help him, eager to try my new bow. I told Berko about the bow and arrow Nia had given me. He was very skeptical.

I don’t blame him, of course. I would be too if our roles were reversed. But it didn't matter. When I saw the deer, I notched an arrow and pulled back. Then I smoothly released, sending an arrow flying at the deer.  The arrow hit true. The animal immediately fell.

Berko looked between me and the fallen deer in shock. We had been a great distance away and I hadn’t taken the time to aim. He knew then that I told him the truth. Together, we walked over to the deer and began preparing to carry it back to our village.

I was feeling proud of my bow and so excited about how well it had worked. I glanced up at Berko, but he wasn’t paying me any mind. He was just staring at the bow. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but the way he stared made me nervous. While we finished up, I heard someone walking towards us.
I turned to see who it was. I heard Berko scamper behind me. I turned back and saw him holding the bow and arrow in his hand, looking at me victoriously. The person who was walking down the path towards us came into view. It was another of the villagers from my home, Desta.

I greeted her quickly before turning back to Berko. I told him to give me my bow back.
He glared at me then turned to Desta. He told her that the bow was his. He said I had become jealous and tried to steal it from him. Desta looked between us, not knowing whom to believe. Finally, she recommended we go to our village and let the village elders decide.

While I knew, Desta meant well. I was very unhappy with the entire situation now. First Berko stole from me and lied about my honor, now I have to go try to convince our village elders that the arrow and the bow was actually mine. These were the same village elders who caused me to leave so long ago because they had hunted all the animals, leaving none for us ordinary people.

Nevertheless, I went. The last thing I wanted was a scene my first day back.

We arrived to the village council a short time later. They told both me and Berko to tell our sides of the story. Berko went first. He told them the story that I had told him, making me seem like a liar or a copier when I tried to say that what he said was not true of him but of me. The council believed Berko.

I argued with them a couple minutes before seeing it was useless. They said that for my lies and thievery I would be killed. Then I had an idea. I pulled out my enchanted fiddle. I hadn't told anyone about this fiddle’s special properties, but everyone knew I played the fiddle beautifully.

I begged the council to let me play one last song before my death. They agreed.

I began playing slowly at first, to see if it worked. It did. Before I knew it, everyone was dancing and mumbling in confusion. Then I began to pick up the pace. They were all dancing wildly unable to stop. I kept going, determined to make them see their error.
They begged me to stop as their exhaustion overtook them. The head elder even offered to give me the village if only I stopped playing the fiddle.

I told him that wasn’t necessary. I didn’t want the village. I just wanted my peaceful life back, as well as my bow and arrow. They agreed and did what I asked. Then I thought of one more thing I wanted. 
I began playing slowly while they begged me to stop. I told them I would stop for good if Berko admitted what he did an apologized. He was furious, but he obliged quickly, as he was as exhausted as the rest of them.


I’ve never had to play that fiddle again because no one will ever forget the last time someone questioned my honor. 
"Goje" by Musicas Resonantes Wikimedia
Author's Note: The original story was called The Monkey's Fiddle. In the original story a monkey travels away after he runs out of food. When he leaves to return home, orang outang gives him an enchanted fiddle and bow. A wolf becomes jealous of his bow and steals it, claiming monkey stole it from him. When they talk to a jackal , she says they should go to the animal court. They do, and the court believes wolf. Because of this they sentence monkey to die. But monkey plays one last song on his fiddle, making them all dance. The then believe him and return his bow, and wolf admits his lies.

The main change I made to this story was making all of the animal characters humans. I thought that made the story more relatable, especially since it was dealing with tools that needed thumbs to use, like a bow and arrow.

Story source: South African Folk-Tales by James Honey (1910).

4 comments:

  1. Hello Kelsey, what a great retelling. In a way it almost seems like the main character is not only the protagonist but also the antagonist. I love how you made it seem that the bow and arrow would be the thing that saved her but in fact it was the fiddle. The significance you put on the fiddle was a very interesting touch. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a really great job at describing the main character’s emotions and personality. It definitely gave depth and personality. Like what Cindy said, the main character does seem like a protagonist and antagonist. I was a huge fan of that. It shows that someone with special abilities/powers can use it for good or bad. In this case, a bit of both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelsey again. I have decided to comment on another one of your stories as I think you do a great job a retelling them. I really like the twist you put on this story making the readers think that the bow and the arrow was the thing to help her but really it was the fiddle. I think you did a great job in the building up of your story allowing use to feel things through the character. Great job so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an intriguing story! I've read the story of the magic fiddle before, but I must say, yours is fantastic. I think it's ironic how the reader thinks it's the bow and arrow that are going to help them when it was actually the fiddle! I also liked how they used it as a last resort; the character didn't even know if the fiddle worked or not! The crowd sure did get what they deserved though and I'm glad it ended well :)

    ReplyDelete