Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 1: Exploring the Un-Textbook

The following are some selections that I may read for our Un-Textbook throughout the semester, in no particular order. 

1. Grimm (Ashiman): All of the Grimm brother's stories are interesting to me. In particular, I've always loved the story of Rumpelstiltskin, so that is one reason I want to read this section. Also I'm interested in the new story mentioned in it about Adam and Eve. 


2.Turkish Fairy Tales: I have always loved Fairy Tales and have read some from Europe and Asia. The description of the Turkish, involving wizards, princes, and fairies makes me very interested. Also I'm not sure I've ever encountered Turkish fairy tales during any of my previous readings.


3.Voyages of Sindbad: I've heard about the legends of Sindbad in many many books and movies, but I have never read them. In the description of this reading, it also interested me that the writings were written in first person through Sindbad's perspective. So many of the hero legends are either and omnipresent narrator or a third party observer, I'm very interested to see how this is written and how it works with the story.


4.Dante Inferno: I have never read Dante's inferno but have heard a lot about it in many classes I've taken. Last semester I took a History of Heaven and Hell class and the professor briefly touched on Dante's Inferno and I thought it sounded really interesting. 


5. Eskimo Stories: I've always been interested in Ghost stories and legends. And if I'm being completely honest, I like the Disney movie Brother Bear, the description made me think of that movie a little.

I like the idea of the Un-textbook very much. I think it will be hard to chose the readings every week because each one sounds interesting in its own way. I think this will be a very interesting and unique class. I'm greatly looking forward to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment